Monday, July 2, 2012

MAXI MADNESS


Maxi Dresses - Maxed Out  

Dear Readers:  If you are one of the millions of women in Atlanta parading around town in a maxi dress, please don't be offended by this post.  I'm come not to criticize, only to gain knowledge that may lead to acceptance and peace of mind.  

Who am I?  I wrote about fashion for 20 years, and have a vast knowledge base. I'm a woman who loves clothes more than life itself. I'm also old enough to remember this maxi-dress thing the first time around in the 1970s, which has nothing to do with my opinion.

I don't know the genesis of the current trend, but the maxi dresses has transcended trend-status into fanaticism, if not a Reign of Terror. Women - all sizes, ages, political affiliation and sexual orientation are roaming Atlanta in shroud-like garments, in 100-plus temperatures. These frocks are often festooned with floral prints, suggesting Mou Mous, Pentecostal church ladies, or 1970s wallpaper.  

Long dresses are appropriate for:  Formal occasions. Nightgowns. The beach, possibly. The only women who can pull off this look are very tall and very thin, which leaves out the majority, including yours truly.

Marie Antoinette: contributor

Why, in 100-plus temperatures is this happening?
   My theories are as follows
* Mass hallucination
* Marsh Gas
* US magazine
*  Reality T.V.
* Stores no longer offer shorts, tank tops and swingy little short dresses as alternatives
* Protection from planet Melancholia, if the world does end.  

Please help me, readers. Do you own, wear or plan to buy a maxi 
dress? If so, please explain your motivation.

The opinions expressed here are strictly those of the blogger  
    



2 comments:

  1. How interesting. I must also say those tall lanky girls such as myself look AS hideous in short dresses with bird legs peeking out..the "majority" of the populace are better equipped to handle a diverse group of outfits for whatever their flavor dictates..while tall lanky girls tend to stick with what works for them year in and year out-boring, yes.BUT it works for those of us whom are more comfortable in longer styles..essentially we are on the same page with what work best for us.. Maxi works for ME. I'm truly enjoying your blog..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie - Thanks for the comment. You, as I remember being tall and slender, would be one in a million who would look good in a maxi dress.
      I look like I'm in a nightgown - a ghost flitting around. My main point was that they are everywhere - and I'm advocating , as you say, find your own style.
      - Georgialeesays

      Delete